A famous Hollywood actress bared her well-sculpted body in a commercial. Likewise, a prominent Chinese actress who was able to make it quite big in Hollywood posed nude with some lettuce leaves shielding her private parts. For what reason? To stop killing animals just to be eaten and used for clothing and accessories. They promote vegetarianism.
We all know the benefits of eating vegetables. It has been taught to us since we were toddlers. Dietitians and Nutritionists urge us to include several servings of vegetables in our meals everyday.
Being vegetarian means discarding meat, beef, pork, chicken, lamb etc., from our plates. It is considered a tough act by many who love to eat meat cooked in many a different way. Yes, many meat lovers agree that eating meat is indeed good for the body because of the protein it provides. Many feel sluggish and weary when their protein level depletes. The amount of protein in our body is a good topic for discussion particularly to those consuming large amount of meat all the time.
I have not been eating meat, pork and beef, for several years now. After I finished dissecting the first cadaver in our Anatomy 1 class, I decided to stay away from meat. Even before that incident, I was contemplating giving up meat but I could not think of a better way to do it. Now, I feel better and lighter without meat and indigestion is now a thing of the past to me.
Buddhism is one religion that advocates vegetarianism. Its main reason for doing so is for compassion. The Dalai Lama defined compassion as a state of mind that is non-violent, non- harming. When one has a compassionate heart he or she can easily wish other people to be free of their sufferings or wish them well always. Being compassionate should not be limited to human beings but should be extended to animals as well. For Buddhists, killing animals is an evil action. The killer eventually suffers the consequence of his or her action. This is called karma. No one will be able to escape this law. Buddhists could not bear the pain suffered by animals while being slaughtered, skinned, dismembered and cooked to satisfy human hunger. By refusing to eat meat, one lessens the sufferings of other living organisms. It is an expression of compassion, though only minimal, one can offer.
Truly, Buddhists do not even kill insects such as ants. They would rather see the real reason behind the build up of this insects in particular spots of the house or office. Killing them will never be an option. Those who are compassionate at heart can even ask these tiny creatures to leave the spots where they gather in groups and in a matter of minutes they are gone.
There are some advantages worth considering when one is a vegetarian:
1. By being a vegetarian, a person is able to keep a pure heart and mind. This is important in self-development or self-actualization.
2. Having lean and healthy body is easy to achieve.
3. Maintaining youthful appearance is never a problem. Eating your greens results to having fresh and glowing skin.
4. Removing toxins is like an ordinary occurence as vegetables sweep those waste products inside the body. A longer life span is possible and development of illness is seldom a part of your system.
5. Since you are able to keep a pure mind and body, you radiate a different aura. Most people are drawn to you and you are easily liked by them.
Let us take a look at the negative consequences of eating meat:
1. It encourages cruelty to animals and killing more of them.
2. Having merciful and compassionate heart is limited to few living organisms.
3. Development of illnesses such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis. This holds true especially when meat being eaten came from animals that were sick even before they were slaughtered and cooked.
4. You are what you eat. When you feast on cooked meat from a particular animal that is considered wild and frightening, somehow you eventually become like them. You are hot-headed, critical of other people and not easy to be with.
Remember that there is a reward for every act. Good act is equal to good reward. Evil act results to evil reward. On second thought, you think of those working in restaurants serving meat dishes. Or those who are working in meat stalls, those butchers, do you condemn them? So many things to consider. But you always have a choice.
Wait, those great bodies in commercials and posters. They serve as inspirations to women and make some men drool. You want to tell yourself this: It's time...it's time to go vegan.